Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Good Morning and happy Thanksgiving!

What do you give thanks for today? I'm listening to the wind howl outside, and I'm thankful for this house that's keeping me warm. It's old and musty smelling, and there's a perpetual dusting of kitty fur on everything. Nontheless, it shelters me and my wonderful family, the center of my life... even the furry ones.

I am thankful for our jobs. Despite the frustrations that come with any job (really, how many people have jobs that cause them absolutely NO angst??), it's more secure than most. It's challenging and has its rewards, the environment is good, the people are friendly, and it pays the bills. Can't ask for much more than that.

I'm thankful that we still have our farm. Even though we really need to sell it (finances are tight with the upkeep of a place across the state), I hate to let it go and hope we might move back. Living in a tiny town was fun for a while, but I miss the wide open spaces. I can sit in my yard at the farm and see for miles around me, watch the spectacular sunsets, listen to the birds and the frogs, or marvel at the powerful storms that move around us. I can sit on my front porch in town and look at the side of the house across the street and listen to the dogs bark. Lots and lots of dogs. Seriously, how can a pet owner let his/her dog bark incessantly 24/7? I just don't get it.

I had the good (not) fortune of waking up at 4:30 this morning and being unable to go back to sleep. After 45 minutes of listening to the room heater hummmmm, I finally gave up and got up. The turkey is now soaking in salt water, and in a few hours it'll go in the oven. The cornbread is ready for it's final destination as dressing, and I'm enjoying the quiet morning and the antics of the fur-babies romping around me. Apple pie is in the cupboard (away from the kitty fuzz and inquiring kitty noses). Pecan pie is in the fridge and will be warmed up later. Pumpkin pies are on the to-do list, as are the sweet-taters. The only thing I forgot was the can of jellied cranberry sauce. I know, I know, many people cringe at the thought of the tin-can shaped congealment, but I actually love the stuff. It's a childhood thing, ya know? It's quite overkill for three people, but I won't have to cook until next week.

We all have to work tomorrow, so Thanksgiving isn't a traveling holiday for us. We'd planned to visit with FIL and step-MIL today, but we got a very cool note by mail last week that effectively canceled our family subscription. Very strange, unexpected, and left us unsure of how to react. #1 Son and DIL have told us that it's too much trouble to pack up their kid and drive an hour and a half to visit us, so I've stopped inviting them over. Did my heart good when DIL packed up the kid and drove to her folks in Virginia last summer (and by herself, no less - #1 didn't go with). I stopped trying to be close to my two brothers and their families as it was never reciprocal. MIL always gets a better offer, and my mother is 4 hours away. So my little family unit will give thanks for each other, 'cause seems like that's about all we have.

Goodness, has this turned into a wah-wah session, or what??

I hear stirrings in the other end of the house, so sleepy faces will be asking for breakfast soon.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - did you ever think that it was YOU they didn't want to see because you are so hateful to them? Just askin?

Annie said...

Anonymous - you are a coward. If you feel you know me & my family well enough to pass judgement, then do so as a real person and don't hide behind the anonymous moniker. Otherwise, I will blow you off as a loser with no life who has nothing better to do but post venom on random blogs.