Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Night

Hub is kicked back in the recliner watching foobah, the teenager is in her room studying, I'm planted firmly in the other recliner racing around the internet.

First, I want to share that Hubby located a can of cranberry jelly in the kitchen cabinet, so Thanksgiving dinner was not without the clotted delicacy. This particular can was, sadly, the whole fruit type, most assuredly purchased in a rush and completely in error. I'm a purist a like only the plain jellied sauce, but we made do with the lumpy stuff. I also mooshed it up in a bowl. Traditionally, it's pushed out of the can and onto a plate in its glorious tubular form (love those tin-can ridges!) and is sliced into delicious gelatinous slabs of cranberry goodness. Next year we will undoubtedly return to tradition.

Friday evening after work, La and I drove cross-state to check on the farm. Wednesday night's weather produced severe weather complete with tornado warnings (a fine ending to an afternoon of Oklahoma earthquakes), so we made the almost-weekly 270 mile trek to check on the place. All was well. She and I pulled up "Nottingham" on Netflix instant play and settled in for a movie night. Saturday we hit some of the store in T-town, but we fizzled out quickly.

La gets really frustrated when shopping for clothes. She's a cute, "normal" size, and she hates the uber-skinny show-all styles. A skinny size medium would equate to extra-small of a few years ago. She says shopping for clothes reminds her of how skinny she's not, and she gets pretty testy pretty quickly.

I'd like to get her out of JCPenney, Maurices, etc, and into a store with more classic clothing which is really more her style. Getting her there is the challenge.

We stopped in Hobby Lobby and picked up some beads to make some Christmas ornament covers. La signed up for the Secret Santa gift exchange at work. One on the gifts is an ornament. I've never done a bead cover, so I hope I can pull it off. Getting out of my chair is going to be the biggest challenge.

Upon arriving at the farm Friday night, La got out of the truck and immediately stopped in her tracks. "Mom! Listen?" I listened. I only heard the ticking of the cooling truck engine. "What am I listening to?" I inquired. "Nothing! Just listen! There's nothing!" It's amazing how you don't appreciate what you have until you give it up. I think we've realized that what we took for granted - peaceful evenings, peaceful mornings, and peaceful afternoons - was a precious gift that we were too eager to give up. Regretting that now!

Tomorrow it's back to work. I had a project to set up for this coming week. I was unable to get the information I needed, so the project didn't get done. I'll probably hear about it, even though the person who will berate me is the person who didn't give me the information. Really looking forward to that. Not.

1 comment:

SchnauzerMom said...

I really like the peace and quiet of the country. My husband can't handle it. He likes noise.