I may have whined about this before - I'm losing sensation in my feet. It started about 1998 when I got my first retail job at San Francisco Music Box Co. After standing for a shift, my feet would feel a little numb.
After working at the vitamin store for years, the numbness progressively became worse. I mentioned it to doctors on one occasion or another. No one seemed very concerned.
The new egomaniacal doctor I visited last fall sent me to a neurologist for evaluation. The Dr. Neuro said that everything appeared to be OK, but I had loss of pin sensation. He ordered blood work, which Dr. Ego completed. I never heard whether the blood work was OK, or if Dr. Ego sent it to Dr. Neuro. I just kinda got lost in the shuffle.
I posted on Brain Talk Communities about my tootsie issue. A couple of members came back with some interesting information. First, even though fasting blood tests came back OK, I could still have elevated blood sugar for hours after eating which could damage nerves. I've only had fasting tests done, never one after eating. The numbness could be a B12 issue (Dr. Neuro mentioned that). It could also result from - get this - Celiac disease. Isn't that weeeeerd?
My next trip to the doctor for a neck pop will now involve extensive blood work. We'll see what happens.
Museums
12 years ago

2 comments:
Gee I hope you find out what is causing the problem. I've heard that celiac can cause all kinds of problems that you wouldn't believe could be caused by something like gluten.
Kinda scary that something that's in almost everything could cause such problems.
Post a Comment